It’s common for many people to unconsciously fall into purchasing and shopping patterns where we spend money on particular items on particular days. For example, Sunday afternoons are the day I most often go grocery shopping, whereas I tend to fill up my car with gas on my commute to work on Monday mornings.
But could the timing of these routine purchases be better? Possibly. Although it varies, in general, some days of the week do in fact yield bigger discounts on certain purchases than others.
So, if you’re looking for ways to save a few bucks or just wanting to become a smarter and savvier shopper, the following suggestions may help you to better schedule your purchases throughout the week so that you get the best deals and save some cash.
- Airline tickets. According to travel experts, this is the best day of the week to purchase airline tickets. Airlines Reporting Corp—a company which processes tickets for travel agencies—looked at almost 130 million tickets purchased in the U.S. from January 2013 to July 2014 and determined that if you purchase a ticket on a Sunday, you may pay an average 19% less for a domestic flight and 27% less for an international flight.
- Groceries.As long as you can tolerate the crowds of shoppers, Sunday is a good day to save on food and other routine household items. Many grocery stores and drugstores have their weekly ads starting on Sundays, as well as Wednesdays. As such, shopping on a Sunday, Monday or Wednesday would be the best time to get all of those advertised weekly deals before they sell out.
- Gas.According to GasBuddy.com, Sunday is a great day for filling up your tank with gas in many states, although there are a few exceptions. For example, Wednesday is the best day to buy gas in South Dakota. However, for most of the country, the weekend is your best bet for the best prices at the pump.
- Swimsuits.Although it depends on the season, you’re likely to find the best swimsuit deals on Sundays, mainly because it’s the end of the weekend and fewer people are interested in buying pool or beach attire.
- Cars. There are many theories on why Monday the best day tobuy a car. One idea is that disgruntled salespeople who didn’t have a very successful weekend many now being more eager to make a sale and willing to negotiate. Car dealerships also tend to be less crowded on Mondays, which may allow you to think more clearly and carefully about your car purchase options. On the other hand, shopping for a car on the weekend is more likely to lead to your making a purchase in haste, especially if you find a used car you like and there are no similar models on the lot.
- Electronics.On Mondays you can often find discounts and sales on computers, TVs, tablets and similar products discounted on Mondays. According to Ted Nguyen, co-founder of a shopping site for men called Faveable.com, that although it’s hard to quantify or generalize about the savings one can gain on Monday deals, “one can save an additional 10 to 20 percent on electronic items compared to the average sale price.”
- Movies.Movie theaters often feature discounted tickets on Tuesday nights, since it tends to be one of their least busy day of the week.
- Kids’ meals at restaurants. Both Tuesdays and Wednesday are common days for many restaurants to offer kids-eat-free specials, since fewer people dine out on those days.
- Airline tickets.Although the latest research shows the best time to buy a flight is Sunday, many travelers and travel experts have sworn by buying airline tickets on Tuesdays, especially if you’re going to purchase a ticket on a weekday.
- Groceries.Whether you missed out on grocery shopping on Sunday or if you simply are already in need of restocking, Wednesdays are another day of the week that grocery stores typically begin offering new discounts and coupons.
- Jewelry. Although it typically only by a few dollars, online jewelry prices tend to drop a little on Wednesdays.
- Clothes. Thursday is a good day to shop for clothes, as a lot of weekend sales begin on this day.
- Handbags. According to ShopItToMe.com, ladies’ handbags are discounted on average up to 36% on Thursdays versus other days.
- Gas.This is another good day to fill up your tank, according to GasBuddy.com. Otherwise, today is slim pickings. Even the infamous post-Thanksgiving Black Friday may not be so great for finding deals. Many experts say the best deals come in the days leading up to, and after, Black Friday.
- Items at department stores. Because retailers realize many people are off work on Saturday and Sundays, days on which people have time to visit friends or be outdoors, many department stores compete for consumers’ free time by offering special sales over the weekends when most people are able to shop.
- Outerwear and lingerie. In particular, these items are often on sale on Saturdays, according to a two-year study by ShopItToMe.com. You can find lingerie, on average, 37% cheaper than during other times in the week. Jackets and outerwear are also typically 51% cheaper than the rest of the week.
SOURCE: U.S. News Money